Welcome to Essex In The Media!

Zoë Nicholson. 19. Chelmsford, Essex.

Former BBC Production Coordinator Apprentice and now working full-time as a Production Coordinator, still at the BBC. And loving it.

A blog that started off as a destination for updates on local Essex celebrities, news and events has evolved in the years I've been writing.

It soon became a hub for features on TV, Radio, Music, Festivals and tales of life as a Sixth Form student.

As I started my career in the BBC, my blog became a diary, logging the steps of my apprenticeship and the experiences I gained along the way.

And now as I continue my career in the media, I hope to combine all of these things together, continuing my career diary and combining this with articles based around my love of music, radio and television.

So there you have it - Essex In The Media.

Please feel free to leave comments or contact me on Twitter @zozonico

Wednesday 18 January 2012

House's haircut makeover making headlines!

A Chelmsford house has been making the headlines in national papers for its extravagant makeover.

Covered in ivy, the previous owner had left the leaves untouched, allowing it to grow for over 20 years. Even the windows had been totally covered up, with the house appearing as just one, large, green mass, with just the chimney to show. The house, on Lynmouth Avenue, attracted a lot of attention from passers-by, with people even stopping and pulling over to take pictures.

New owner, Neil Utley, says that it took a team of workmen around two weeks to strip and shred all of the ivy from the house.

The prominent, and possibly notorious house, should have been sold for around £350,000 if it were to be compared to the other houses on the street. However, due to the sheer volume of the evergreen plant that had grown in bulk over the house, estate agents were asking for just £120,000. Although the ivy is not particularly dangerous, many neighbours had described it as an 'eye-sore', taking away from the 3-bedroom property's value.

Renovation has now begun on the property to convert it into a comfortable home for a member of the new owner's family.
So long: The mop of green ivy is a sight of the past, after taking over a week to be cleared.

No comments: