Welcome to Essex In The Media!

Zoë Nicholson. 19. Chelmsford, Essex.

Former BBC Production Coordinator Apprentice and now working full-time as a Production Coordinator, still at the BBC. And loving it.

A blog that started off as a destination for updates on local Essex celebrities, news and events has evolved in the years I've been writing.

It soon became a hub for features on TV, Radio, Music, Festivals and tales of life as a Sixth Form student.

As I started my career in the BBC, my blog became a diary, logging the steps of my apprenticeship and the experiences I gained along the way.

And now as I continue my career in the media, I hope to combine all of these things together, continuing my career diary and combining this with articles based around my love of music, radio and television.

So there you have it - Essex In The Media.

Please feel free to leave comments or contact me on Twitter @zozonico

Saturday 10 March 2012

In Case You Didn't Know... Olly Murs CAN sing!

Ever since his appearance on the X Factor, critics have often been scathing of this Essex lad. However, after a sell-out, nationwide, arena tour, it's time these critics hushed and accepted the fact that Olly Murs is a true star, and a very talented one.

After the success of his Number One album, titled 'In Case You Didn't Know', as well as the first two singles from the album rocketing to the top position in the chart, there is no denying that Murs does have a talent. Despite what I imagine is widely considered by some, the 'Heart Skips a Beat' singer has written most of the songs on both of his albums, proving that his talents stretch from being a singer to a song-writer, as well as being an all-round good guy too.

Anybody who appears on the ITV show The X Factor will always be confronted with scrutiny by the press and by music journalists who are too quick to snub the pop sounds that are created by the talent show. It only requires a glance on Twitter to see how it is the likes of JLS, Olly Murs and One Direction, all X Factor finalists, who attract such large fan bases and therefore dominate the charts when their singles are released. Although many people believe Simon Cowell is trying to manipulate the UK's musical tastes, he is in fact just finding artists that appeal to it.

This negative conception of X Factor artists is unfairly held by too many people who attempt to reject this mainstream field of music in order to be seen with a more 'respectable' taste in music. However, this mainstream music is exactly that for a reason - it is popular and enjoyed by the masses. Whether a genre is deemed as 'Pop' or 'Indie', this holds no effect on the actual talent that the artist holds and I think that this can often be mistaken.

As a fan of Olly Murs myself, it may seem biased that I have such high praises of him. However, so will the thousands of other people who saw Mr Murs at his recent tour. It takes a special something, or a special somebody, who can sell out The O2 Arena on two successive nights, as well as two more dates in the same city at Wembley Arena just a week later. With even more dates taking Olly to the largest cities across the UK, crowds packed out to see the spectacular live show that Murs provides. 

Even despite inches of snow disrupting journeys, and even preventing many fans from getting home in some cases, the arenas remained full, certifying that the concert was very much worth the hassle!

Cheeky chappy: Olly Murs rocking The O2 Arena, London
Opening with an uplifting and lively track, 'Anywhere Else', from his latest album, the lyrics perfectly suited the occasion. "Nothing compares to this moment and nothing ever will" ultimately summarises the exhilarating feeling at the start of any live music event, with the show that I saw at the O2 Arena on the 4th February being no exception.

Continuing with all of the greatest songs from his first two albums, as well as some cover versions, including Aloe Blacc's "I Need a Dollar" and a medley of James Brown's greatest hits, Mr Murs clearly defined his vocal ability, proving to audiences of thousands why he rightly deserves his place at the top of the UK charts.

Anywhere Else: "Tonight, our arms are open wide"
Complete with a top-class band, including tremendous back-up singers who helped Olly with a few of his dance moves throughout the show, I would thoroughly recommend paying a visit to see this Essex-boy on one of his upcoming summer shows. These include a homecoming, headlining concert in Hylands Park on 16th June, before returning to the park again on 19th August for the annual V Festival, where Murs will be making his debut appearance on the Main Stage.

If you're not altogether convinced about Olly Murs or he's still not your cup-of-tea, be sure to see him perform live and I can guarantee you will have a good time.

2 comments:

Alex MacGregor said...

I couldn't have put it better myself Zoe! I was at Wembley Arena on the tour and it was hands down the best gig not only that I've seen of Olly's but the best I've ever seen at Wembley Arena, and I've been to some great gigs there in my time!

I experienced a whole surge of emotions that night, and I don't think I've ever felt that at any other gig before - I laughed, I cried, I danced, I sweated - and I completely agree with you, everyone needs to go see him live once before they pass full judgement cos' it's impossible to not go to one of his gigs and come out smiling at the end of it...

Natalie said...

Totally agree!
& I'm the same - if someone isn't sure about Olly or whatever, I just tell them to go see him live. He's the best person I've ever seen live - from his singing, to his dance moves, just everything.
x